Breaking News
Loading...
Saturday, 24 March 2012


When I wake up in the morning the first thing I do after making sure the kids are still breathing is make a b-line for the coffee maker.

I’ve found the perfect way to make the perfect cup of coffee for me. With two kids, under the age of four, I never know if I’m going to get just one sip or if I’m able to enjoy the full cup. Perfection is important when the odds are against you.

From the cup I use to the coffee beans to the sweetener… my cup of coffee is narrowed down to a science.

1. The Coffee Bean
I start by purchasing whole coffee beans and grind them myself at home. I have more control over the size of the grind and can make sure that every pot of coffee tastes just as fresh as the last. Once I grind the beans I grab an unbleached filter, put it in the basket, and scoop out three perfectly rounded spoonfuls with my special coffee scoop (a present from my husband and son one Christmas). Then I fill the carafe up to the 6 cup line with filtered water and pour the water into the basket.

Once I hit the on switch I try and keep myself busy by making breakfast for the kids because if I don’t all I can think about is that first sip.

2. Doctoring It Up
I’ve prepared my coffee a few ways since I started drinking it. Sometimes I prefer more sugar, other times I stay away from the real stuff and go for the artificial sweetener. But since I know that can’t be good for me I’ve gone to agave nectar as my sweetener of choice. Two teaspoons is more than enough to sweeten my whole cup.

Fat free French vanilla half and half from Trader Joes compliments the agave perfectly.

3. Down the Hatch
I pour my coffee into one of two cups. Two of my favorite cups in the world. An Alice in Wonderland mug and a large blue mug I bought on clearance at Starbucks. They’re awesome mugs and hold at least 1 ½ cups of coffee.

Once I have that hot mug in my hand and I’ve stirred up all that goodness inside there’s no stopping me from taking that first sip and enjoying it. After that, it’s fair game. I either am interrupted right away from one or the other kid or I get to enjoy the whole cup. And sometimes, just sometimes, I’m able to finish another cup after the first one.

On rare days like those I know it’s going to be a good day.
~ Danielle

Danielle is a work-at-home-mom of two beautiful kids and writes over at the Simmworks Family Blog. She loves to blog about her family, healthy living, going green and crafting. Danielle would love for you to come visit! You can reach her onfacebook and twitter as well. If you have any questions feel free to email her at simmworksfamily@gmail.com

0 comments:

Post a Comment