Breaking News
Loading...
Sunday, 30 September 2012


     Day after day, night after night I cook, clean and take care of children. I love what I do, but it is hectic, and when you've been whistling the same Barney song for hours, chances are you need some adult time. My adult time starts when the kids go to sleep. At 8:30 pm, the house is dark and the only noise is the gentle hum of the fan in the distant hallway. It used to be that the only time I was able to have a coffee was when I would pass a Starbucks on my way to wherever (it was my addiction, like so many others), but several months ago I purchased a Keurig and it changed my life!

     Yes, it changed my life (my husband laughs, but its not an exaggeration). I simply LOVE this machine, and not only is it good for coffee, it brews teas, hot chocolate, hot apple cider, and some other juice things that I haven't tried yet, so it is good for the whole family (although they are not allowed to touch it). My current flavor is Pumpkin Spice by Green Mountain. That with 2 tbsp Splenda and ½ cup of frothed skim milk from my Keurig frother (another great purchase), and a little sprinkle of cinnamon on the top and I am in heaven; ready to cuddle up with a good book or enjoy a non-animated movie.

     I also enjoy a coffee flavored protein drink each and every morning. I am not a breakfast person, but since I have started putting health first, I have learned that it is very important to have a protein packed meal 30 minutes after you wake up--which is nearly impossible when you are parent to a 3 and 1 year old.

     In the morning, I rush to get the older one off to school all the while being chased down by baby who is insisting she be picked up. But my protein drink takes very little time and effort and tastes just like a blended Frappuccino. I use Fit Frappe Espresso by Big Train, mixed with 1 tsp Hershey's cocoa and 2 tbsp peppermint sugar free syrup by Torani and top it with Reddi Wip Fat Free and VOILA!

     As you can guess by my coffee choices, the holidays are my favorite time of year, and coffee plays a big part in that. Its more than just a beverage. The smell that lingers in the room, the warmth that consumes you after the first sip, and that rich, sweet taste that has the ability to temporarily take away all my stress and transport me to another world (even if only for as long as it takes me to drink a cup). It can give you a feeling of warmth on a cold winter night, or make you feel as though you are treating yourself to something sinful with just a dollop of whipped cream or the addition of blended ice. It can mean so many things to so many people, but for me, it means quiet, simple, happiness.

~ The Happy Housewife




The Happy Housewife writes for Baby Got Back (On Track)! Where she writes about her journey as a mom who is 6 years post op, from weight loss surgery.

0 comments:

Post a Comment